Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Experiment

Yesterday I went to Whole Foods and bought a jar of virgin coconut oil, for two major reasons: one, I wanted to use it for my scaly dry skin; and two, I wanted to make my own deodorant.


I have run the gamut of natural deos and I always end up stinky. It sucks. I've tried EVERYTHING except that really expensive stuff at Whole Foods that just contains (basically) baking soda and essential oil. 


I use an in-shower solid moisturizer from Lush and was doing everything I could to avoid dry itchy flaky skin...lukewarm showers, cocoa butter lotion, natural stuff, vitamin E oil...etc. etc.


It seemed as though the last thing I had to try was coconut oil. 




Today is my first full day of testing both the moisturizer and the deo. 
The deo is basically 1/2 cup coconut oil, 1/4 cup each of baking soda and cornstarch, beaten together with about 40 drops of essential oil (I used grapefruit and lavender). You can find recipes anywhere online. Google it...
The coconut oil is virgin (not extra virgin, because I didn't read the label properly,oh well) and smells DELICIOUS and fit for consumption, but I feel weird eating something I am also smearing on my body. 


So far I've showered and applied both. I currently smell like a tropical drink , which is an improvement on smelling like B.O. immediately post shower/deodorant application (yeah...gross). 


I'll update you as my experiment progresses.  

No comments:

Post a Comment