Sunday, March 20, 2011

Sister Saturday

yesterday my DH went to paintball with his pals. I urged him to go, since I understand the need for partners to get away from each other and relate to humans on a purely adult level. Meaning: no talk about kids or spouses...a gather with the purpose of fun. 


I knew I would be alone with the kid for the majority of the day, so I texted my sister to see if she wanted to come hang out and go bowling with us. She did. I was thrilled. 


The morning did not begin well. The kid was throwing a medium-sized tantrum when Mr. Smith left the house. My sister arrived shortly after. We played a little and got to the bowling alley around 11:30. Had a blast. 


We ran some errands after that-the post office, the grocery store, etc...


Then things went steadily downhill. Milo wanted to look at photos on my phone, and it wasn't working the way he wanted. 


To make a long story short, he threw the biggest tantrum I had ever seen, and did not take a nap. 


I don't post this to gain sympathy. I know there are much larger problems that my own. 


But in those moments when Milo was screaming and thrashing and telling me he didn't want to nap, that he wanted to play with his toys and I KNEW he needed to rest...those moments I had no freaking idea what I was doing. 


I get those moments often. I try to accept them and ask the Lord for guidance. But IN those moments I need to remember to be calm. And to not lose it. And to try SO VERY hard to remember that this is all for a purpose. 
Because yesterday I did NOT feel like a good mommy. I felt like a terrible ogre. 

No comments:

Post a Comment