I was a little busy yesterday so this totally slipped my mind. Better late than never, yeah?
1. How did your parents decide on your name?
This is an interesting story: My parents had a baby girl named Hilary Lynn. She was premature and her lungs were not developed enough for her to breathe on her own (technology has advanced a LOT in the past 30 years-nowadays she may have lived), and so her life was cut very short. Like, one day.
Naturally this devastated my parents. My mom became pregnant with me almost a year later, and when I was born as a (very) large, healthy baby (nearly ten pounds with a full head of black hair), they were thrilled.
Althea means healer in Greek. I am sure you can see why it was appropriate.
This story brings tears to my eyes each time I tell it. It has created a very special place in my heart for my parents (I know, duh, right? But I think you get it) and for Hilary-whom I cannot wait to meet in Heaven. I always wanted a big sister.
What I enjoy about my name is the questions I get when I introduce myself:
'Oh, so you're Greek..' (nope!)
'Oh, so your parents were Deadheads!' (its a really amazing Grateful Dead song. But nope!)
Or people generally assume that (if we are introduced through email or telephone) that I am black. Which I sometimes think I am. On the inside, that is. Haha.
2. Do your initials (First, Middle, Last) spell out anything fun/funny?
AJS...ah nope!!!! SAJ, JAS...nah I got nuthin
3. Did you take your middle name from childhood or did you take your maiden name as your middle name? (If unmarried, what do you plan to do?)
Keeping it from childhood. Thats another interesting story. Again, linked to a dead person.
Also, my maiden name is 11 letters long, with a silent 'y' at the end. Yeah...sorry dad,wasn't sad about losing THAT ONE.
4. Are you or will you name your children thematically (ie. same first letter, all of same origin…)
I think the only theme will be that they will be interesting. With a last name like Smith, we have to.
5. Did you decide on baby names as a little girl? Did you stick to them or change your mind?
Hah. Oh, hahahaaaa. Nooooo. I never thought I would have kids.
6. Does your family have any names that have been passed down through generations?
I kind of wish they did, but my extended family's traditions are relatively nonexistent. Boo.
7. Do you look at the meaning of the name or just the name itself?
Name first, then meaning. See #4
8. Do you name pets with human names (Sally, Henry) or with pet names (Fluffy, Mr. Bo Bo)?
Well, we have two cats, one named Mona and one named Squishface, so, you figure it out.
9. Are there any names that you have an affinity or dislike for based on a childhood experience/someone you once knew?
Heh, I could say something really mean right now about a person I am mad at. But she has the same name as my sister whom I love to pieces.
So, no!10. What are some of your favorite names? Why?
This one I will have to decline to answer, as the Mr. and I are not done havin' babies. And we like to keep names a surprise.